The importance of a name.



I spent the better part of an afternoon, a few days ago, thinking about the importance of a name... how my name (Catia) probably influences the way people think about me. Had I been called Jennifer or Olga, people would, instantaneusly, have a different impression of me. Sooo... the obvious conclusion is that the NAME of a product might also influence how people think of IT. Yada yada yada... this all brings me to a conversation I had with my boss (background: she works in a tv production company who primarily works on documentaries). The tvprod company she works for is doing a documentary on what goes into CAT and DOGFOOD... without getting into a long rant about some of the things I heard from her, here's the scoop: people are starting to care more and more about what goes into THEIR system and their beloved pets are being forgotten about because there is little to NO regulation in the pet food industry about what can be put into your pet's food.

Basically, for this project she made a concoction involving (among other things) an old leather boot, whey gluten, and saw dust... all pureed and made to look like pet food... AND IT'LL PASS TESTING. Ha.

And, what did she use as the name of her product?
"Old Boots" (but don't quote me because this isn't the part I was really paying attention to)
The logo?
A dog playing with a boot.

Alarming? Yes.
I can't wait to see this documentary when it comes out...
AND, also: wouldn't it be nice if things were labelled what they truly were?? Sigh.

1 comment:

brooke.t said...

this is actually insane! it's crazy that someone would make dog food out of such random ingredients. However, what an awesome way to prove a point!