Benetton, what?


This 2003 Food for Life campaign was co-developed by United Colors of Benetton and the United Nations World Food Program to support the fight against global hunger, the world’s most consequential hurdle.

Established in 1965, Benetton is now located in 120 countries around the world. Its aim to build value to their brand lies within their worldwide, controversial advertisements. Their goal to create a uniqueness that sets them apart from the pack has been successful. Luciano Benetton’s theory that “communication should never be commissioned from outside the company, but conceived within its heart” drives their branding campaign. They have contributed to society not only with their branding strategies, but also with the Leleque Museum in Patagonia and the Pivano Library. The goal of the United Colors of Benetton logo was to create an international style with colour, practicality and energy, which contrasts with their intense imagery.

I find them genuine in their fight for humanity and our future. Not to say that Benetton isn’t out to make money- because he is- but he’s being proactive while he’s doing it. Is it all a scheme to get people’s money? Maybe. But so what? It’s creating awareness in a dynamic way that gets people’s attention. Furthermore, their advertisements, for the most part, aren’t given to you, you have to think about the meaning and interpret it. Their imagery is also often harsh and may be difficult to look at, but that’s just another way of being remembered. Both are key tactics in the design world. Well done. Check them out http://www.benetton.com/html/index.shtml

3 comments:

LeeVos said...

I just recently learned about other campaigns that Benetton has run over the years. One was for AIDs with a very disturbing image of a man dying from the disease. Another was to bring light to racial discrimination with an image of three hearts. I think they are a great company and in generating interest in their products they bring attention to worldwide problems. They use their recognizeable brand logo to assure validity in the ad and its message. I truly respect and admire their initiative to spread positive notions towards diversity, equality and to raise awareness in issues such as Aids, world hunger and violence.
I have always liked their clothing ads and the models they choose but I find myself drawn much more towards their more controversial ads. I feel as though by supporting their company's clothing I am contributing to something much larger. I have no doubt that they had intended to evoke a feeling such as this in their audience.

Dominique R. said...

I've noticed Benetton during my first year Visual Culture class. I found this company very interesting due to the fact that they go out of their way to create “value” in their advertisements. They do this by exploiting an image itself to get their message at hand across to its viewers.

I find that Benetton is no longer choosing to communicate with just the consumer, but rather an individual basis. Therefore, I feel as if this company is geared towards human awareness and not the clothing company it is. At first glance — because of its personal stance — it appears to be about worldwide issues instead of clothes. I am convinced that this brand stands for muh more; however, I forever get lost in the campaign rather than the products (clothes).

Maja M. said...

Benneton in recent years seems to have toned down on the controversial social/political ads that it once had, but I think, and am hoping that they will bring in this element again. For now, I think that they are doing a great job at spreading worldwide awareness of different issues and topics through their COLORS magazine, that is currently sold all over the world. I love this magazine, the striking photography, and its ability to inform us about one theme from so many different angles, and with snippets of information from all corners of the earth.