The Specialness of the Non-Brands

I started drinking coffee only recently. I have little knowledge when it comes to blends, and even less when it comes to coffee-specific terminology. The first cup I grabbed was from a 24-hour donut shop; a real Ma & Pa establishment. I ordered a small coffee with two cream and two sugar. What was handed to me was a small coffee with two cream and two sugar. Just beautiful.

I've attempted to recreate the experience at a few other coffee houses but to no avail. Yes, I eventually end up with my small coffee, but only after some confusion. Coffee houses specialize and simply asking for 'coffee with cream and sugar' is not specific enough (I ended up with Americana, but I don't know what that means. I didn't care for it much).

This got me thinking. The small Ma & Pa type shops that litter the city are essentially without strong brands. There is very little distinction between one Ma & Pa shop and the next, and what they have in common is a similar brand experience. When shopping at Ma & Pa shops, I have certain expectations: lower prices, drab interior, salt of the earth customers, elderly folks, and owners who are either really happy or extremely upset (whichever the mood, it's always genuine).

I expect certain things from Ma & Pa shops, and very rarely do I find they not deliver. It's an odd thing that the group of least branded organizations have left the strongest impression.

No comments: