Not good enough for BR bags





A recent trip to mall led me to look around the Banana Republic for guys to see if there was any items that caught my eye. Having recently worked at a Gap over the summer, I was familiar with the brand and found they did indeed seem to have better quality clothes. I purchased 2 shirts, and was happy with both products upon trying them on and taking them home. My issue came with the bag given to me at checkout. It was BR's sale event, and being the cheapskate that I am, I probably wouldn't have paid for the items at full price (only a 10% discount though I'm just fussy). Instead of getting a nice clean white and black BR bag with the tissue paper sticking out, I was handed a paper bag with a huge SALE sign on it. While this is smart from a marketing standpoint, for other consumers in the mall to recognize the bag and possibly learn that there is a sale at BR now, I couldn't help but feel inferior to my regular priced shopping peers. Further more, the sale bag looks nothing like the regular BR bag, completely throwing the brand consistency off.

1 comment:

Sean F. said...

I agree with you on this one. Banana Republic has a refined style. One that seems to suggest modern, classic fashions for men who want high quality clothing and who care about the way they present themselves. While their regular bag design suggests this understated elegance, black text on white, this sale bag is too loud. It seems to be trying too hard, and doesnt sell elegance at all.
A more toned down solution would have been a better fit. Orange text on the white background perhaps, in an organized and stable design. I think that would have been more appropriate for BR.