I just don’t get you, Solo Mobile

When I saw the crying bobby on the poster in the subway station the first time I was like, “It must be a new series of British drama on TV.” I have to admit that the poster does draw my attention because the crying bobby face is really distracting. However, it just draws my attention to look at but not to try to interpret or read the text on it because I was almost sure it was just another TV drama poster. Until one time when I was very bored in the subway station I actually read all the text on every poster and realized that it is actually an advertisement for Solo Mobile. First of all, I really don’t see any point in this poster. A British policeman and a Dutch lady crying for not having Canada’s most affordable rate mobile service because they are not in Canada? If it says Solo Mobile has the most affordable rate in the world it would make sense. I think it is smart that they don’t use Hong Kong people (or any Asian) for this ad, because the lowest mobile service rate in Hong Kong is much cheaper than the rate Solo Mobile has offered. Moreover, I think this ad is too exaggerated for a mobile network company. Stability and dependability are major concerns beside rates in the mobile industry. Ads with over- exaggerated ideas might make people think their service is unreliable. In this case, I think Fido had a good idea in choosing Dog as their spokesanimal. Solo Mobile, time to change your ads.

1 comment:

Sean F. said...

I've seen these ads, too. However, I find the tagline; "You have to live here to get' em" works very well with the pictures of people from different countries looking dejected. I think the ads are clever and entartaining, and I like that they're using a visual joke to draw you in.
Side note: The student's only plan has similar photos of old grad students from the 80's, 70's etc crying that they graduated too soon, and therefore don't qualify for the plan. Very fun campaign in my opinion.