Facebook vs MySpace


You all knew this would come up eventually...
I missed the whole MySpace thing, to be honest. I only jumped on the Facebook bandwagon last year, went through the regular phases of the FB initiate (1. Resistance 2. Grudging Acceptance 3. Ravenous Addiction 4. Continual Creeping), and have finally settled on checking it numerous times a day to see who's commented on one of my photos or sent me a fake drink.
My question is; what was it that allowed Facebook to so fully claim the crown of the most beloved online personal blogging site? The site, which hailed from Harvard (hence the conservative and sleek aesthetic of the menus and type treatment), features the same options that MySpace already had, in come cases directly assimilating add ons and extras. Is it the fact that people can now license their own self made applications for people to use, thereby allowing Facebook to grow as a personalized, organic entity? Or maybe it was that the site was originally intended as a networking facility for post secondary students, thereby lending it an aire of sophistication lacking from MySpace. In any case, the winner is clear, and Facebook's user base just keeps growing exponentially on a daily basis.
Side Note: What did you all think of the rebrand that facebook underwent when it ditched the random "facebook guy" head from the logo, opting for a cleaner typographic look?

3 comments:

SarahD said...

http://albumoftheday.com/facebook/

Rachel said...

I love facebook, i went through these four stages. I wonder where facebook will be in two years, will it still go strong. I am sure I will get bored of it, like MYspace, i stopped looking at my account. I guess we will have to wait and see?

Tolu. O said...

One thing i could say is that facebook is really trying its best to keep its customers hooked so they keep coming up with these unnecessary add ons like super fun wall and ilike and all that nonsence. I thing those will at some point turn people off. its getting way too crowded on facebook now. Wayyyy too crowded. Clean it up!!