What’s in a Name? – Absurdity


So a few of my female cousins who are in their early ‘tweens’ were talking and sporting their new Coach bags, which ridiculously stood out from the rest of their attire. Curious, I ask one of them: “Why do you like this brand?” She replies “It’s COACH…don’t you know?” Apart of me was actually hoping to hear, “I like it” or “It’s pretty” or even “My mom bought it for me” but apparently this is all that was said: “ITS COACH…DON’T YOU KNOW??” At that moment I felt dumbfounded. I had a good feeling they don’t even like the look of the bag - Coach is a mature brand that sells leather goods such as bags, wallets and accessories that gives off a very distinct mature look feel and style targeted to middle/upperclass women. These girls, who were clearly unable to afford these items, were like flocks of sheep sporting it solely based on its status and nothing more. I don’t recall purchasing/wanting something based solely on its name or status. You would at least expect them to sport a brand because ‘it looks cool!’ Instead, they have embedded the word ‘cool’ into the name. This is a case where the blurry line between brand follower and brand idiot has been crossed. Forget the absurdity of their appearance; just hearing them respond the way they did made me feel embarrassed. For these girls, branding has worked beyond its successful and appropriate use.

3 comments:

KateUbbi said...

I can definately understand where you're coming from in terms of "valleying" up a classic brand. What I find funny is that I can go to New York or a place of that nature and purchase a stolen Coach purse for a fraction of the price. Morals? Who cares when they're charging me an arm and a leg for something that costs probably 25 cents to make.

Graphic Designer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Graphic Designer said...

i work at yorkdale mall and i remember at christmas time the lines at coach were so long that they wrapped around the store and had to lock the store doors to regulate how many people would come in. A majority of the customers were just like your cousins, and i thought to myself, why do they like this brand so much because i knew it was for middle aged women. and how can these young girls afford them? i've had a job since i was 15 and no matter how much money i saved and made i caould never see myself blowing it on something like an overpriced purse for middle aged women.