Has Fashion lost its passion!!





I love shopping ! Especially for shoes, I have 55 pairs of shoes, some that I haven't worn yet. Just because I have allot of shoes does not mean they are quality shoes. On the weekend I looked through my shoes closet which I adore and could live in. Nevertheless I own 15 pairs of sneakers, 30 pairs heals, 5 pairs boots, and 5 pairs sandals/slippers.
I saw this new commercial from Joe Fresh which is sold at the Superstores, Sobeys and other big supermarkets across GTA. I loved the line and fell in love with a pair of shoes from the commercial. I made it my mission to go to the store the following day. The shoes are selling for 16.99 a pair. I am thinking this a steal, inspecting the back of the shoe and to my disappointment it read in small letters made in china. I could buy these shoes and wear them about 10 to 20 times and toast they are(?). But I decided as much as I liked them wasting money was not on my agenda. The Joe fresh store was nicely stocked with all sorts of fashion (Children, Men's wear, Intimate) which equaled throw away fashion. In about 10 washes down the road the fabric will fade or tear and it s ready for garbage pick up. What is it with stores like Payless, Joe fresh and even Sears that think we are stupid. That I wont be able to tell the difference between quality and quantity. I understand people think they have a limited selection but there is WINNERS , H & M, ECCO and plenty more.
Joe Fresh looks very stylish and maybe is the closest to Mark Jacobs in some young girls eyes that she would spend all her allowance to buy clothes and accessories. My point is that its cheap fashion and people allow new companies to continue selling crap like that.
The staff at the store aren't even nice, its not like we are that Holt's.

3 comments:

SarahD said...

I've been to the Joe store recently and it reminded me of a lower grade version of the Gap.
The interior was reminiscent of the Gap (circa a month ago before they upped their brand).
Their clothes were nothing special, pretty plain so if you are not a flashy person I suppose its a good place to buy basics. Although it is fair to say this is disposable clothing, lets face it, most of the clothing sold to us is. And I'm sorry to break anyones hearts but not only Joe sells made in China shoes... *cough Aldo, Spring, Browns, Town Shoes, The Shoe company, Nike, etc. cough*.
I've worked in retail for almost four years for the same company for which I will keep to myself because I believe in their brand.
To to be honest most clothing stores found at major centers like AE, Winners, h&M just to name a few carry disposable clothing.
It is highly unlikely that you will be wearing the same polo or sweater or whatever piece that you purchase from these stores 5 years down the road.
Many common retailers simply don't produce sustainable clothing.

One more thing, pardon me but not every student can shop at Holt Renfrew.

Rachel said...

Well they should produce sustainable clothing, because there is absolute no point in wasting money. Things are getting expensive, and clothes are not cheap, and yes many things are made in china. But you have to understand if I address all the issues in this blogs it would take pages to entail. I have as well worked in retail and it sad and disgusting to see what people buy because of the price tag. Also it depends on where you buy and what you can afford. I am sure that holts is not every students cup of tea or perferred store, and it was just an example to emphasis my point.

SarahD said...

The clothing industry should produce more sustainable clothing. For example the H&M brand has come out with an organic cotton lineg, trying to spread some environmental corporate responsibility on the marketplace. The sad part is that it is selling 'ok' in city locations but moving out the dorr really slowly in location above major cities.
I suppose majority of consumers simply aren't educated on principles of sustainability. I mean look at the weather for example. It shouldn't be 25 degrees today! Thats NOT RIGHT! And yet people are rejoicing. There is some ignorance there.

Back to the clothing, it could also be that the price tag is slightly more expensive, which it is, and people just don't want to spend twenty dollars more for a plain t-shirt.
If sustainable clothing could be produced at a more reasonable price tag and dollars were spent on advertising and marketing to promote its benefits then it could sell.
Just a thought.