Rockport promotional campaign



On my way down university street last week I ran into some of these semi-nude mannequins and a bunch of guys giving out pamphlets besides them (they were fully dressed however, in gray suits with an orange stripe running down the sides of their pants). I thought that the guys looked quite put-together but it really made me wonder what they were doing besides those mannequins wearing only ties, underwear, socks, and shoes. The whole thing looked pretty funny and ridiculous, and I was amused enough to want to find out what it was all about. To my surprise, I wasn't handed one of the brochures but had to go back and ask for it, only to later find out that it is entitled "The Detailed Man's Handbook"! The booklet explains what is a detailed man and how one becomes him, accompanied with a lot of ridiculous tips on keeping shoes stink-free, clipping nose hair, complimenting women, etc... This was a promotional campaign for the new Rockport line of shoes that features "Torsion system technology " by Adidas, a shoe that combines the style of a dress shoe and comfort and technology of sports footwear. I thought that the whole branding and marketing was cleverly done and carefully positioned, right in the financial district where there are lots of young businessmen - those who have to look professional yet want to show that they have a fun side as well. I am still wondering whether or not the campaign targets only men, because that would seem like a step in a wrong direction. Other than that concern, I think the branding was quite successful because my initial reaction made sense once I've read the contents of their brochure and found out that the humorous aspect was their intention. I think that the look and feel of the whole campaign is in sync and that the consistency of the campaign is remarkable: from orange gray uniforms, to brochure design and the website. I believe that the campaign will be successful at attracting the attention it is going for. Anyone else seen it?

No comments: