Bell



The major telephone companies such as Bell, Telus, Rogers have come up with distinctive brand identities. Among them, Bell with the beavers are what I don't think of it as not successful brand establishment. The first advertisement of Bell Canada was a gift box. Sure it intrigued consumers with what the content of the box would be. And then, Beaver comes out after they teased consumers enough. What a surprise.
Bell Canada has recently been bought by the Ontario Teacher’s Pension group as a key holding for their pension portfolio.
With the “beavers” campaign for Bell that has been very cute and helped “position” Bell as friendly, Canadian and casual. As anyone who has recently purchased services from Bell or subscribed to internet, phone or satellite services, the “experience” has been less than acceptable. Bell as a first telephone company and inventive company image Beaver was a wrong choice for them I guess.

3 comments:

Matthew Cabral said...

I think the beaver's was a bad direction on Bell's part. They over reached, stuck to "Canadian" imagery, and made older people who find talking animals humourous adopt them.

Kenny Li said...

i'm not very fond of the Bell beavers either. Perhaps it's the realistic rendering of them that I feel almost frightened the closer I see them from. I do feel in terms of voices they are casted great–I immediately know when I'm listening to a Bell commercial solely from voice alone.

Arnaud Brassard said...

In my opinion, it just makes Bell look really bad. It worked for some companies in the past to use animals as their brand identity, but when did a company resort to animal to keep the company alive? It is trying to speak "canadian", "funny" "blahblah", but in reality it's stepping aside from what customers are looking for:::::::RELIABLE SERVICE.

I guess now that they've got me thinking beavers work for Bell, it's not going to leave me much choice when I encounter one in the wild. Sadly, this beaver won't have a clue as to what I'm ranting about.