Roberto Cavalli @ H&M

I'm sure a lot of you have heard about the Roberto Cavalli @ H&M event that occured yesterday. Being part of the crowd, I've decided to write this week's post about the experience.
The line up first of all consisted probably over a hundred people, and the people in the first of the line started lining up at 5 AM. This could be said to be one of the most awkward shopping experiences I've encountered. I'm not a huge fan of Cavalli, infact I kind of got dragged in this by a few of my friends. It was only until I got there (at 8AM) that I found out the store opens at 10.
The crowd was crazy, once the doors opened, you could only hear high pitched yelling of joy only a women can produce. The people were grabbing ANYTHING they could find, forget about looking for rips or sizes. Funny, it was as if everything was for free. Though the prices were a lot lower than reg Cavalli, the tag does say Cavalli @ H&M. Necklaces were about $40, and are now available on eBay for about $100. Everything was sold out in less than 2 hours.
I ended impulse buying over $400 worth of clothes that I'll probably never wear :S, its amazing how the power of a brand can cause such a phenonmenon.

2 comments:

Nicky L said...

i know that people grab whatever they see and either end up returning them or put them on ebay. It happens every year when guest designer launches at H&M.
I think the annually guest designer event is a great strategy for H&M as it brings freshness to the brand every year...

SarahD said...

I went a year ago for Viktor and Rolf and I got stabbed by hanger, pushed over, and women were grabbing garments that I wanted to purchase from my hands.
I opted not to go to this opening for these reasons. I could not believe the animalistic qualities that came out of these women just for a designer label.
The event is a great idea for bringing a luxury brand to people who can't afford luxury prices and associates H&M in that realm of being aware of high fashion design.
For me, it's too crazy. Perhaps I should have brought some black market mase.