2012 Olympic Games Are Going To Be ... Jagged?


This is the logo that was created over the course of a year for the upcoming 2012 Olympic games in London. This logo has to help raise £2bn of private money in order to pay for the games. I'm not positive of exactly how much £2bn is in Canadian dollars, but I know it's a lot, and to that I say good luck. They're going to need luck because apparently the masses HATE IT. People have gone as far as comparing it to the logo of a children's show from the 70's and 80's called Tiswas.

The concept was to create something young, edgy and hip, inspiring by the belief that London is. "anything but bland." Frankly, I don't see it. Nothing in this logo says cool, hip, trendy or more importantly, sports or competition. Personally, I see eighties dance party. If this logo was talking to me I'd be hearing, "Hey! Come on over to London, we're having a crazy party, we're going to listen to 1980's pop music and dance ... and oh yeah, something about the Olympics, ... I don't know ... we might be hosting a notorious sporting event." But of course this logo isn't talking; it's sitting here in all of its technicolour glory hoping that someone somewhere donates cash to the 2012 London Olympics.

2 comments:

SarahD said...

At first glance I would have to agree with you and to be honest when I came across the logo a few days ago my thoughts were in sync with yours.
Today I have come to like the logo as different as it is. For me, it symbolises a break away from the norm - a celebration of the untraditional and risk-taking. I think it also has a lively energetic quality as suggested by the odd shapes in which no event is alike but uniquely exciting.

In an odd way this conversation is reminiscent of the OCAD 'box in the sky' discussion if you will. People either seem to like it or hate it.

oliver brooks said...

I agree with your blog, I believe this new look is awful and holds no tradition or sports a young hip look. They have lost the overall essence of the games and completely destroyed a once beautiful and simple logo. Even though it is jagged supporting the thought of "breaking away" I do not think it works well at all.