The Brand Thing.

I'm realizing more and more that branding organizations, companies, people and the like is a very difficult task. When you're beginning the process, you have so much freedom, so many ideas and directions but the clock begins ticking. To make strong decisions at every step of the way does require alot of confidence in your work and your design solutions. Furthermore, to know beforehand how long this process will take you is almost impossible--and this is where I find this to be very complex. I get approached by people here and there and they ask me if I can brand them, or their company. (I'm not trying to sound established, I'm not at all) I've done it a few times and failed miserably, I believe. Of course it was a learning experience, but the time wasted was well over my head. What I found to be really annoying was the lack of understanding on behalf of the clients who thought things could easily come together and "oh, just make it look nice." It's insulting when you're trying to become a better designer and all your clients want is for you to entertain them. It reminds me of the other day when I went to the Dentist and asked her to dance for me. It's just plain pathetic and I think we all get this treatment from time to time. But luckily, I learned more about the process in this class and I'm beginning to understand exactly what our roles are as designers (and advertisers...maybe) I believe it's important to work hard at it and to keep in touch with other designers to see what they're and how it's working out for them. In the end, I think you've achieved your goal if you can clarify, simplify and communicate the message to the viewer. Oh, and let's not forget to have alot of fun doing it.

It's been fun, gang. It's been really fun.

Green' peace.

No comments: