Brand Powah!


By now I'm sure everyone knows that the Spice Girls are coming to Toronto in February. The tickets sold out in something like 3 minutes, which goes to show that these girls still carry a lot of power with their old audience who has grown with them since the 90's. I remember when they were at the height of their popularity; Spice fever was leeching into every corner of consumer culture. Lunch pails, candy, dolls, posters, clothes, books, movies...The Spice Girl brand was the hottest thing going.
And now, fast forward 10 or so years, and people still want to spice up their lives. If that isn't branding at it's finest, I don't know what is.
PS: Posh spice rules all.

3 comments:

Sabrina V said...

I was absolutely over the moon for the Spice Girls when i was 11 or so. The volume of novelty merchandise i think rivaled the Beatles, i remember sticker books, lollipops, dolls, lip gloss, chocolate bars, and if I'm not mistaken i think they even had soda. and everyone freaked out for it. Nowadays i listen to Marylin Manson and Led Zeppelin and have no real interest in going to see the girls (though my younger self would have given her eye teeth), but so, i still find myself remembering their brand, and band, and i still get a teeny bit excited. Turns out, even a decade won't tarnish a strong brand in one's mind.

Graphic Designer said...

I was crazy for the Spice Girls when they first came out and now that their popular again i still kind of like them. It makes me feel like a kid again. Its kind of nice that something from my childhood can still be popular. I think that they were one of the most marketed brands from the 90's. As you said, everything imaginable, had Spice Girls on them. I have to admit I ownd alot of there products.

Barbara Solomon said...

I love the spice girls
they branded themselves so well.
with all the products to purchase
well done the spice girls manager