Ubuntu on Dells


Dell recently released a new series of computers running pre-installed versions of the Ubuntu open-source operating system. Aimed at advanced users and tech enthusiasts it is surprising to see such a large company like Dell embracing an open-source OS. Open-source refers to the fact that Ubuntu is free to download, and it's source-code (what it's made up of) is provided for also free for developers to create their own applications (think the recent surge of Facebook apps). While I don't think I understand open-source completely it will be interesting to see how the PC's sell.

1 comment:

Arnaud Brassard said...

I think that's a great move on Dell's part because it gives people the opportunity to choose if they want to go with Windows or an Open Source Operating System OSOS. I've never heard of ubuntu, but it should be nice for those advanced users.

I used to connect BBS dial-up networks. That's all I know about open source.