Advil vs Generic Ibuprofen


While in a Rexall pharmacy the other day I saw the pain relief section and remembered that the brand research paper was due next week, thus I decided I needed some Advil. Now as someone who has probably used Advil all their life, it has become synonymous with the drug Ibuprofen, as Kleenex is for many people the "word" for tissue paper. Faced with two purchase options on the shelf, Rexall's own brand of Ibuprofen (unfamiliar to me as this was my first time in a Rexall pharmacy) and the my trusty Advil. While the Advil is more expensive, I honestly thought to myself that if I bought the Rexall brand, it might not be as effective. Call me paranoid and stupid, but I trust the Advil brand since I've used it all my life. I'd like to think that I am the type of consumer that might have made a different decision, depending on my mood. I guess on this particular day I wasn't looking to take adventure with uncharted territory.

1 comment:

Catia Martins said...

I *ALWAYS* buy Advil over generic Ibuprofen, too, and I used to work in a pharmacy where I was *assured* it was the SAME THING and would work the same. I don't think the coating on the pills, liquegels, etc., is quite the same, though.