what is this ad about?

Honestly, I don’t usually buy condoms in the store. I usually just get them in the medical clinic for free. Therefore I don’t know much about condom brands, especially in Canada (I am from Hong Kong). The first time when I saw the advertisement of “Life style” in TTC subway station I absolutely have no clue what the brand “life style” is about. The primary tagline in a silly typeface and an “undo” keyboard key and a gross looking guy who has a grimace, are just too unappealing. The most significant thing is the word “condom” that is so small and sneaky, where it’s placed below the brand “Life style”. The only hint of message in this poster is the small tagline on the right bottom corner “Protect your sex”. For people who are new to condoms and never heard of this brand before, probably don’t know what this advertisement is communicating. Moreover, I think the focus of the target audience in this advertisement is not clear as well. It’s too immature for mature audiences to look at and the message it too ambiguous for younger audiences to be interpreted. I think they need a better poster in terms of targeting the right audience.

3 comments:

sammy said...

Plus there is no undo button on a keyboard...
I just saw this ad last night, also in the subway, and this exact conversation of how rediculous this guy is.

Sean F. said...

I saw it, too. It's heinous.

brooke.t said...

this ad haunts me. it's absolutely terrible and it makes me never want to buy the product. it looks cheap which is not what you're looking for when purchasing condoms.