Fancy pants

October 2007

The other night while I was out I walked into Shoppers Drug Mart for some gum and I noticed this month's Esquire magazine and I had to buy it. There was a charm, something about the an old ugly actor with a very fine suit that made me want to see what else the magazine had to offer. I've personally never picked up a magazine for men, but this was the one of the most interesting reads I've had in a long while. But I couldn't help notice the way esquire was written, it looked fairly old for it's sort of elegance so I decided to research the company's history.

October 1933

What amazed me is that the first issue's cover which is publicly available in the archives section was dated for October 1933. I had bought the issue that marked the 74th year of it's magazine to the exact month. Being directly catered to men, the overall feeling of a male dominance in the cover and within the magazine honestly hasn't changed all that much since the 30's. I loved reading this magazine and because of the content it provides, seeing as how the magazine has over 70 years of experience of what to write, the title of the magazine hasn't really changed, but refined throughout time for the sake of modernism. A brand of men's magazine as strong as Esquire are few and far between because of the paid pace of popular material in any area of entertainment.

No comments: