Co-operative Company?


I was strolling down the street and saw a store named 'Mountain Equipment Co-op'. What intrigued me is the word 'co-op' in their name. Mountain Equipment Co-op is a Canadian consumers' cooperative, which sells outdoor gear and clothing and has over 2.5 million members (customers). From my research I found out a co-operative is a democratically owned business structure in which members pool their resources to obtain a benefit, which means the products can be only purchased by the members (which is $5 annually) and members use their shared purchasing power to obtain goods and services for outdoor activities. And the members are actually eligible to vote for board of directors to decide how the Co-op is governed.

I found out many interesting things about the company. Moutain Equipment Co-op is a largest co-operative retail in Canada, and they actually make profit. The company is notable for its commitment to environmental protection and other causes. It is very different type of company which I encounter normally. It has healthy philosophy

1 comment:

Wai Yuan said...

They are also the only company I've ever experienced that backs up everything they sell to the fullest extent, no matter how old the item is. My backpack is over 8 years old and I've never once had it fixed because it's never ripped, broken, or anything of that sort. Quality backpack manufacturer I have to say.