It's not an Irish beer...


Given that this past long weekend was Thanksgiving, I found it appropriate to discuss a branding argument I was involved in. A good friend of mine had his family flown in from Ireland and was privileged to share their company. Like any good Irishmen, they drank the second they landed in Toronto. Monday night, three of us got into an argument about beer. I am not a connoisseur about alcohol by any means, but I had a great case. Carlsberg is a beer domesticated from Denmark. It originated from there and is, by no means, Irish. These two gentlemen were persistent that it was an Irish beer. When I asked them, why, they said that the clover on the logo is what gives it all away. It actual fact, it’s not a clover at all. The world famous architect Thorvald Bindesboell designed the logo in 1904. If anyone knows what that little shape is, please let me know. Regardless, I found it interesting that these two men were sure it was Irish because of the mistaken identity of that little three-pointed shape.

No comments: