Coca Cola's "New Old" Look...


I remember the day I first saw this "new old" design of the can, and the way it hit me. I thought to myself, this is great. Finally, design that is simple and purely functional but successfully expresses the brand. To have this can among others that are colluded with "special effects" and gimmicks that make you think you're buying more than a soft drink is, in my opinion, very refreshing. This new design reiterates the history and beauty of the red and white logo to give the buyer a sense that it's flawless and in no need of change - that it stands firmly by itself. This is a perfect example of how simplicity in design is more effective than complexity.



I was reminded of this event by browsing www.underconsideration.com/brandnew and noticing the post about it.

4 comments:

AshleyW said...

I definitely like what you’re saying about virtue in simplicity of design. However, I’m not sure why, but when I see the new coke packaging I feel, well uncomfortable. I think it is because of Coke (as a brand giant) should have one of the obnoxiously over designed identities. All of the waves and fake bubbles on the first can worked with coke as a brand. I would like to think of Coke as minimalists, heck I love Coke!, but it seems a little too bohemian for them. I myself like minimal design, but I guess I’m just not ready to see coke that naked.

Awesome choice for post!

Lior said...

I must have missed the train! I still see that Coke can with that annouying yellow stripe! Personally if I came out from under my rock and saw the "new" clean simple red and white design I'd jump for joy!

Jason Romanoff said...

I am starting to feel that Coke could simplify their design even more, possibly to the extent of just having the white stripe on the bottle, and people everywhere would still be able to clearly distinguish what company it is. The new Coke design, I feel in a way, created more canvas space on the can for Coke to add as much decretive elements now and still keep the clarity of their logo.

Personally I feel it has a pretty cool modern touch to it! Nice Post

KateUbbi said...

To be honest, Coke just doesn't taste the same unless it's out of a glass bottle...those were the classic days!