UPS LOGO



UPS redesigned its logo in 2003, replacing the classic UPS logo designed by Paul Rand in 1961, who also designed the well-known IBM logo. The most significant change in the new UPS logo was the removal of the bow-tied gift packaging design, and turning the logo into a brown and golden 3D looking shield. The chosen brown colour only applies to the logo, but is used throughout the corporate identity, from the exterior colour of the truck, to its employee uniforms, company websites. The redesign of their logo was to establish a new corporate identity, that UPS not only delivers packages, but also provides various supply chain services. As their slogan says: “Synchronizing the World of Commerce.” When you send your laptop for repair through UPS, the guy in the brown suit is actually the one that does the repair.

Which logo do you prefer? The old or the new?

2 comments:

mcortese said...

Personally I'm not a fan of the UPS rebrand. I don't think its much of an improvement from the original and it doesn't really say, "Synchroning the World of Commerce" to me, I see "Shiny UPS".

Sean F. said...

I think the newer UPS logo is a big improvement. Obviously, people want to feel that their shipping company is reliable and stable; something that they can trust. The new logo looks so much heavier and stronger, and the shield motif signifies protection to me. Furthermore, the use of brown and gold across all elements of the company is a really effective unifying brand technique. To me, the colour brown signifies earthiness, stability and trustworthiness. It's not pretentious or flashy, but rather communicates understated reassurance in their service.
Side Note: I chose this brand because I saw a UPS truck this morning :)