*these bottle show the comparison between the new bottles and the old, they are for the American brand of Nestle Water, Arrowhead.*

Buying water. It seems like a like a weird commodity to buy, but with all the recent health scares in the past year, society has come accustomed to purchasing a commodity that we really can get for free. And now that everybody is buying water, we all have our favourite brand.

My personal water of choice is one you can get at most convenience stores, and you can purchase in bulk at bulk stores like Costco, and Sam's Club. Nestle Water is the water I've been buying for years now; of all the brands I find the taste to be pure and clean. A bit about the company, their sales aver 9.6 billion annually, and within their brand there are 72 various types of water, and names. Some examples of these are Nestle Pure Life, Nestle Vera, Perrier, Vittal, Arrowhead, and many more.

Nestle in the recent years have used a bottle much like most of their competitors, however recently changed the shape of the bottle. With a 19% market I was wondering why would they change the shape, to a curvier more unique bottle, when customers are used to a more traditional bottle. I thought about this a lot as a customer, and as an advertising student, the only explanation I could think of was one that would make their brand more visible. Consumers when drinking Nestle water used to hole the bottle covering the logo and tag, however with the innovative bottle shape when picked up nine times out of ten (tested with a random group) users pick the bottle up with their hand in the indent, leaving the logo and tag completely visible.

I'm quite proud that this brand was able to see this opportunity that was being wasted by so many other brands. They thought outside of the box, and used a wasted space to advertise themselves.

3 comments:

SarahD said...

In the summertime I was watching a special about bottled water produced by NBC's Dateline.
What I found from this program was that most bottled water is no different from what comes out of our tap and in fact, most bottled water is public.
Unless the label on the bottle says Natural Spring Water or gives a source from which the water is retrieved (ex. Evian, French Alps) than it is not public water and you are getting your pennies worth.
I will try to find the NBC source so you can read something about the specific show.

OwenN said...

Actually, I think one of the main reasons for the re-packaging was the reduced amount of material. If you have noticed, the newer bottles are lighter.... and a lot more flimsy. The new bottles flatten and pop a lot easier too, I guess its OK since the bottles were meant to be disposable anyway.

Anthony Ong said...

Yea, I think owenn is right about the reduced amount of material. When I first started using the new bottle shape I realized its flimsiness and was very annoyed by it. At first I wasn't focused on the fact that the bottle had less material but instead, i thought that Nestle was getting cheap and was focusing more on the design aestheics than on the function of the bottle. I also wondered why they wanted to change the shape because in doing so they reduced the size of the label thus reducing the visibility. But now that owenn has brought this up I total agree.