The legendary sneaker


I am looking at the shoes I'm wearing right now. It is a Converse All-Star. I wear this everyday but not when I am playing basketball (Although the original intention of the shoe is for playing basketball). I was wondering what makes people wear this old styled shoe. All-Star no longer serves the purpose of a shoe as a performance enhancer, we have better shoes for sports. However, it has now become a fashion icon. What amazes me is the transition of the brand All-Star (specifically Chuck Talyer series sneakers). The shift of its’ function from a basketball shoes to an everyday sneaker is notable evolution of the Converse All-Star. The brand is a grand fashion statement and a lifestyle brand. They are more purposeful and meaningful than just being a commodity because they exist in culture on all levels. A true relevancy to their audience, that is the reason why Converse All-Star is still a bestseller.


Many of the traditional sporting shoe brands such as Adidas, Puma, Nike, Vans, and Converse have grown into categories that exceed what their original brand offered. Additional brand values such as Adidas’ disco-like apparel and fashion accessories were offered, while Nike organizes community events in parks and stores. Converse's website hosts a section titled "Lifestyle" that allows users to design their own shoes, and an online gallery space to upload films and images that capture the true meaning of the lifestyle attributes of Converse.

1 comment:

KateUbbi said...

I am a huge fan of shoes. I understand that most women are stereotyped as satisfying a constant craving with shoes- I am not that extreme. However, my collection does not simply consist of pumps and stilettos either (though they are fabulous). I admire the classics. I believe that shoes made in the beginning for a purpose kept design in mind. Nike came out with the Air Force generation in 1995 (I believe) to improve athletic ability as well as make stylish icons out of sportsmen. Although Converse created basketball shoes, the design and overall aura of the shoe was definitely created to make a statement. This is the same situation of many other shoe brands in competition with those I’ve mentioned. Shoes have a wonderful way of classifying people, creating a trend, elaborating a personal identity and completing a killer outfit.