Something New?


Everyday when I take the subway I find myself always staring at the same Dentyne Blast Chocomint gum advertisement. The idea of having chocolate pouring out of my minty gum for some reason grosses me out. When looking into it I found that Dentyne is part of the Cadbury Adams family, which make chocolate and chewing gum. Of course the obvious conclusion, just like any other company that is in the similar circumstance, is to put the two together. Other companies have done the exact same thing for example, razors with battery power to raise facial hair. Who really asked for chocolate in their gum? It made me think of what happened to the simpler days when chocolate and gum were separate, I know I might sound old when asking that, but companies seem to be out of ideas. Today they will literally mix any two of their existing products to make any type of crap and market it in some ‘brilliant’ way because they think consumers are stupid and will buy anything.

2 comments:

Chris L said...

I was given a piece of Chocomint gum by a friend. My verdict? It wasn't that bad. I wasn't rushing out to buy a pack by any means, but, I didn't hate it either.

I personally don't find the concept of chocolate and mint gum to be that odd. I mean, Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is pretty tasty on hot summer days. And I do enjoy After Eight mints on cold winter nights. And as far as any kind of substance shooting out of my gum; well, HubbaBubba's been doing that for years.

I must say though, after seeing the packaging for the gum, the idea of chewing on one of those things does seem rather unpleasant.

Catia Martins said...

It's certainly not the first chocolate gum out there... the others are just not as well known, is all (and they can be quite popular); take Bubble Yum's chocolate flavoured gum or Choco'la, which is a sugarfree gum. But I agree... the advertisements don't exactly scream out EATTT MEEEE at all, and I can't quite put my finger on the reason WHY. Hmm.