Sony Center, Rogers Center, Scotiabank Theater, Whats next... The Visa Tower?

I live in the GTA, Canadas Wonderland Area. No, I do not live in or on the mountain.
Living where I do I often wait for my trusty GO bus at union bus terminal.
Standing there waiting, I looked to my right and noticed something had changed.
The Hummingbird Center is now (and has been for a while) The Sony Center for the Performing Arts.
With the change name happening at OCAD, I became worried and a tad angry.
Will our school become a corporate sell out just as The Humingbird Center and the famous Skydome?
I understand that every institution needs funding to stay alive and offer stakeholders maximum value possible.
But should this include the assassination of a name?
The slaughter of a recognized brand and its values, those beliefs in which we bought in in the first place, to serve the fat pocketed suit?



I looked into the history of the Rogers Center and more so about the name, Skydome.
In 1987, when most of us were screeching out of the womb, a Province wide contest called citizens to submit names for the stadium. Skydome was chosen and the winner won lifetime seats to any event there.
The President of the Stadium Corp of Ontario commented, "The sky is a huge part of the whole roof process. The name has a sense of the infinite and that's what this is all about".

So this leaves me to wonder what the name is all about now? ....Sucking the teet of the corporate sponsor?

Getting back to ocad,
perhaps we will be Apple's* University for Art & Design. Perhaps not.
All I do know is that our interior does look like a giant iPod.



(*not an actual consideration)

No comments: