Think out the box.



Not only does Nike, which is one of the biggest empires in existence today, have the best identity system work but they also have the simplest logo ever. Who ever guessed that the check mark sign will become the biggest identity icon today? Apart from that, the point i am trying to make is that as designers we have to discipline ourselves to continuously step out the box and think beyond the norm. As human beings, it is in our nature to find our comfort zones and stick to that zone as long as possible. We do not like stepping out of that zone until we are physically and emotionally forced to do so. This shouldn't be the case when it comes to being creative. I for one will admit that i am guilty of not stepping out the box sometimes when it comes to designing. I can notice that when I design, many similarities are present in some of my work and once I notice that, I change my style up right away and begin to think out the box. Let us all try to do that everytime we are faced with design problems. Starting from the whackiest ideas and working your way down is a good principle to keep in mind. Otherwise, we will never see another design breakthrough like the Nike "Swoosh".

No comments: